My new best friends

Meet my two new best friends - my iPhone 3G and D-Link DIR-457 mobile wireless router device.
The D-Link DIR-457 serves as my personal mobile wireless hotspot. I just insert my 3G/broadband SIM card into in, turn on the power switch and in 5 seconds I have WiFi in my pocket! How cool is that? No need for expensive mobile Data plans.

The DIR-457 is still a relatively new technology and there are only about 5 types of device on the market on the market so far, the Novotel MiFi, NetComm MyZone, Sierra Wireless Overdrive and the Huawei e5830 series. In Malaysia you can only get either the DIR-457 or e5830. I chose DIR-457 because it also doubles as a broadband modem and it can serve up to 10 wireless device. The Huawei e5830 however can only link up to 5 devices and it might be carrier-locked, meaning you'll might have to unlock it first before you get to use it. It uses a rechargeable Li-Ion battery which can last up to 4 hours and supports 802.11b/g and 802.3/3u wireless standard. You can configure it to use either WEP, WPA/WPA2 and WPS security encryption and it has a Micro-SD card interface which supports up to 32GB Micro-SD card. This device also comes with a classy black velvet jacket and weighing only 103 grams, you won't even notice this thing in your pocket.
You can purchase the DIR-457 from your favorite IT store at Low Yat Plaza for example. Check here for the latest pricing. I bought mine from SRI Computers.