Pangkor Island trip



This weekend I went for a company trip/team building session at Pangkor Island Beach Resort. This trip involves the non-teaching staff of the school from both primary and secondary campus. We left early on Friday morning. I had to wake up just before 5 to catch the 6:00 am bus. We got to the Lumut jetty in Perak around 10:00 am and had breakfast before taking a ferry to Pangkor island. Now I've been to Manjung and Lumut in Perak many times visiting my in laws but we've never been to Pangkor island. So when my company offers to take us there, all expense paid I didn't miss this chance.



We took a special chartered ferry which ferries passenger straight to the Pangkor Island Beach Resort private jetty in a 30 minutes ride. Pangkor Island Beach Resort is situated on the north part of the island facing the straits of Malacca.



It's a 4 stars hotel which offers various types of room, amenities for meetings and banquets and about a dozen recreational activities. They've got the entire Teluk Belanga bay for their guests so the beach is very clean and well taken care of.



The were about 100 of us participants and all of us get to stay in a twin-sharing room. My room costs about RM350++ per night and has a beautiful view of the beach.



After lunch (which was delicious) we get straight to our first activity which was treasure hunt cum team building activity. We were divided into several groups and sent out to look for clues around the resort. It was a tiring yet fun activity and my team (purple) won first place thanks to our great team effort.



In the evening we had a lovely dinner by the beach eating an array of marvellous seafood barbecue. Next was the much awaited lucky draw session with an interval of some performances from the staff.



For the lucky draw, everybody got at least a 50 ringgit Jusco voucher will the really lucky ones go home with an LCD TV, Samsung Note 3 and an iPad among others. As you might have guessed, I just won the lousy Jusco voucher. Never been really lucky with lucky draws so I'd half expected not to win anything special that night.



On the second day, some of us went out to Pangkor town some 7 kilometers away for a bit of shopping and perhaps sight-seeing. Pangkor town is a small and idyllic town on the east side of the island. Beside the jetty, there's several souvenir shop, kopitiams and local shops selling products from the sea. I didn't miss this chance to buy the local's famous blue-eyed anchovies. The anchovies cost just RM13 a packet but the round trip to town with the island taxi costs me 40 fricking ringgit. I call that daylight robbery.



Before we leave, I get the chance to do some canoeing. It's my first time trying out canoeing and it was surprisingly easy. My friend and I paddled about a mile into the open sea before turning back. We didn't even get the boat overturned or anything.



Apart from canoeing, there's other water sports to do like catamaran sailing, snorkelling and fishing. There's also play golf on the small golf course, play tennis, do archery and cycle around the place all for a price of course. The canoeing and cycling that we did was included in the package, naturally.



We checked out at 12:00 pm and took the same ferry to Lumut. We had lunch and did some last minute shopping in Lumut town. At around 2:00 pm our bus departed to KL. I must say I had a good time in Pangkor, especially staying and eating at the 4 stars resort for free part.



I hated the bus ride though, there was music blaring above my head for 4 straight hours. If I can afford it I'd rather drive myself there then experience that bus trip again. Other than that, I look forward for such trips by my company again in the future. Thank you very much for the organizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment