DJI Osmo Pocket review



I used to own a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal many moons ago. It was a great smartphone gimbal with 3-axis stabilization for super-smooth video recording. I had to let it go because I needed the money then. Anyway fast forward a few months ago, DJI released tis sweet little DJI Osmo Pocket video camera recorder. This little gadget fits just right in your palm, is very mobile and doesn’t weight much. What’s more it offers the same 3-axis stabilisation of its bigger brother the Osmo Mobile but at a fraction of the size. And the camera is built in so you don’t have to attach a smartphone to it which is another plus.



The DJI Osmo Pocket is obviously the successor to the DJI Osmo video camera recorder released a few yeas ago. The older model weighs much more and it’s about the size of the Osmo Mobile with a steeper price range. The Osmo Pocket although not as cheap as the newer Osmo Mobile 2, is affordable enough that I can save my money and get one. The Osmo Pocket is powered by a detachable battery which slots in from the bottom. There’s a micro SD card slot at one side. The detachable USB-C and Lightning phone adapters provides you connection to your smartphone for video and photo transfer and editing on the fly. The carrying case is a welcome accessory to keep your Osmo Pocket neatly in your pocket or bag.





Apart from photo and video capture, the Osmo Pocket also features slow-mo, time-lapse and panorama recording. The touchscreen interface is easy to use and you can start recording immediately by pressing the big red recording button. Video quality? Pretty good, comparable to that of Osmo Mobile plus your smartphone. Picture quality is also quite nice, with iPhone like quality photos although there’s no portrait mode with this one. You can find the sample video recording that I’ve made with the Osmo Pocket below. The battery last until the end of the day with regular use. Since the battery is detachable, you can buy a backup battery if you want.



What I like the most about the Osmo Pocket is its size. Its definitely a lot smaller compared to my old Osmo Mobile and I carry it practically everywhere I go. It’s especially useful to bring during vacations or simply recording special events in your life. I know my smartphone camera takes just as good pictures and videos as the Osmo Pocket but it can’t beat the video stabilisation provided by the latter. Plus I don’t need to worry about filling up precious storage on my phone with video recordings. Did I say it’s really-really small and mobile?





1 comment: