Mac mini 2020 review



My last Mac mini was an old 2014 version of the compact Apple computer. It was not so bad if it was running the original OS that it came with (Mac OS Yosemite) but I I needed a newer OS to run the latest apps on the Mac so I upgraded to Mojave and then later Monterey which caused the chronic performance issue due to the slow HDD drive. Eventually it took me 2-3 minutes from login to open a single Chrome tab which is forever in modern day computing standard.



Hence why when I sold the old Mac mini and saved some money to buy a new one. I was torn between the cheaper 2018 Intel Mac mini with SSD and the newer but slightly more expensive 2020 M1 Mac mini but after much research, I decided to go with the latter. For only 2,000 ringgit, it proved to be one of the better investments I have made in recent times.





The one that I got comes with an 8 core CPU and 8 core GPU with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. Pretty basic but it gets the job done. It has two Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI and one ethernet port. You can connect one display to the Thunderbolt port and another display via the HDMI port at the same time. The Thunderbolt/USB-C port can transfer data up to 40 Gb/s so if you got a Thunderbolt SSD drive connected, it will feel like a local SSD drive.





For one thing, the M1 Mac mini runs blazing fast. It took literally seconds to get from power on to the desktop. Chrome and other apps show up pretty much instantly. I don’t play many games but the one that I regularly play - Football Manager 2020 breezes past the processing time between games. I also rendered a 22 minute 4K video using Davinci Resolve in less than 8 minutes. In a nutshell, the M1 Mac mini is a major improvement compared to the last HDD Mac that I had and I can trust this Mac to last 7-8 years more into the future before showing any signs of decline.

If you’re looking for a future proof, affordable and fully capable Mac desktop computer, look no more than the M1 Mac mini. If you have another 500 ringgit to spare, the newer 2023 M2 Mac mini which is twice as fast than the M1 is now on sale for only 2,499.00 ringgit. I assure you, they’re a worthy investment compared to any compact Windows desktop out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment