Ada apa dengan Melly? Live in concert



An expensive concert? In this economy? That’s what I first thought when my son suggested that he, my wife and I buy the tickets to the inaugural Melly Goeslaw concert in Malaysia last week. It was still 2 months before the concert and after I hesitated for a while, I gave in to my son and wife’s cajoling. A few days before the concert, we found out there was a back to school theme where everybody was encouraged to wear school uniforms to the venue. Being the good sport that we are, I bought a school shirt and my wife and son prepared their school uniforms. My wife borrowed one from our eldest daughter.




We actually bought the ticket from a reseller who bought it from another reseller. Normally I would be hesitant to do such a thing, buying tickets not from the original source but they have sold out a long time ago. Of course we did some thorough investigation on the seller and she did provide us some personal and social media credentials for us to validate. In the end the tickets were legit and the seller had in fact sold the tickets because she got some better seats up front.



We drove to the KL Convention Centre that evening, where the concert is happening at the Plenary Hall. True to form, we saw scores of concert-goers in their school uniforms. Ladies and gentlemen in all shapes and sizes flocking to the concert hall. The organizers really know how to hype up the event with a variety of photo booths and other gimmicks. Around 8:30 PM we started to proceed to the Plenary Hall. Thankfully, we passed the ticket inspection without any issues and got to our seats on level 3. It was the furthest seat from the stage but that’s all we can afford for the concert.



To be frank, this was my first concert in like 25 years or so? The last concert I remembered going to was the free KRU concert at Dataran Merdeka. This will also be my first one inside a hall. The concert started a few minutes before 9:00 PM. The atmosphere was electric and the crowd was alive with anticipation. Melly Goeslaw and Ada apa dengan cinta? the movie was huge during our teenage years. Going to her concert, listening and singing to her songs brought back a lot of sweet memories of that time. I remember me, Linda and her gang watching the movie a dozen times, chasing after Dian and Nicolas all around KL when the pair flew over to promote the movie. It felt like we were 21 again that evening.



Melly performed over 20 songs that day. Most of them were regularly played over here and a few not so well known tunes, at least for Malaysians. She sang pretty well for a 49 year old. Not so much dancing and jumping but her antics and jokes were entertaining. 3 hours really flew by just like that. Overall it was a memorable and captivating concert. I can speak for everybody that we were thoroughly entertained that night. There was a potent mix of nostalgia and memories from when we were young. Although not cheap (according to me) I do believe it was money well spent. Would I go to another concert again in the future? Only for a select few singers and bands. Sheila On 7, you next?



No comments:

Post a Comment