Nikon D3200 review



As a self-professed photography enthusiast, having a DSLR camera of my own has always been a long time dream of mine. I started with the basic point and shoot, upgraded to a mirrorless camera and now I finally got myself a decent DSLR camera, the Nikon D3200.





The D3200, launched in 2012 was an entry level DSLR camera for beginners. It features a 24.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor and Nikon Expeed 3 image/video processor. I don’t want to bore you with the geeky details but suffice to say, the D3200 with it’s affordable price range (RM650 secondhand) is more than enough for a budding photographer like me. I have always been a fan of Nikon since the beginning so it’s the obvious choice for me instead of Canon or Sony. Besides, Sony cameras are always more expensive.





My 3200 comes with the standard lens kit which is in most case, sufficient to take every day pictures. I can get a decent amount of depth of field and a tiny bit of bokeh if I aim my camera right. That said, I did get a thirdy party prime lens from Yongnuo which capture even better pictures but only at a fixed length (no zoom). Of course I dream of having more advanced lenses, something with larger aperture size and shutter speed. A bigger, wider telescopic lens maybe. But those are way beyond my budget right now plus taking pictures is still a hobby for me so I can’t justify spending a fortune for better lenses.





So far I’ve been pretty satisfied with my first proper DSLR. It is not too big and yet it is bulky enough that most times I’m reluctant to carry it everywhere unless it’s a special occasion like a holiday trip or a wedding event. I’m not making it a habit to carry my DSLR everywhere I go, it somehow feels awkward. The battery life is pretty decent. I can take hundreds of pictures for 2 or 3 days straight before needing to charge. Taking videos however will shorten the battery reserve considerably.





I’m still learning the ropes at using a DSLR camera and there is still so much to know and learn about. The benefit of using one is that you can always upgrade to a new, better lens and you can choose from literally hundreds of lens size, feature, quality and make out there unlike a regular point and shoot camera where you’re stuck with the same fixed lens.





You can see the sample photos I’ve taken with my Nikon D3200 with standard lens kit below. If you have limited budget like me, I would totally recommend this camera. The D3300 if you have a little bit more money to spend.



















No comments:

Post a Comment