Touch n Go RFID

When Touch N Go started to launch their RFID service, I was amongst the first to sign up on their website. Too poor to afford regular SmartTag, the free RFID is godsend. About two weeks or so after registering my interest, I got an invite to set up an appointment for the RFID installation. I quickly picked out a date and location and around two weeks later, bring my car to a “fitment” centre near KL.



The only thing you need to bring is your identity card and a copy of your vehicle registration papers. The installation took less than 5 minutes. Once the personnel placed the sticker on my headlamp, he gave it a couple of waves with his receiver to try and then we're done. They could install it on the windscreen but you can’t have any tint films on that. Same applies to the headlamp. Any tint films would disrupt the radio transmission/identification.



First impressions - it was really convenient. I just need to reload my Touch N Go eWallet app and then it will deducted whenever I pass through an RFID enabled toll plaza. Although not as numerous as SmartTag, their numbers grow every year. So far the success rate is about 98% which is pretty good. I can only remember one time when the beam didn’t lift up while using RFID. Maybe I was driving too fast, maybe the tag malfunctioned. Either way that was pretty rare. Most of the time, I pass through without any problems.



Apart from paying for tolls, I can use the eWallet app to pay for retail purchases at many retail outlets and restaurants. Heck I even see some night market traders offering purchase via the eWallet app. Reloading the app is convenient, you can use online banking or credit/debit card. The only downside that I can think off is that there’s no RFID toll plazas yet along the North-South Highway (PLUS). As of writing, it is looking increasingly unlikely since the highway owners is at odds with the Touch N Go owner (CIMB) over the whole cashless payment system.



If you would like convenience and faster entry/exit at many toll plazas, Touch N Go’s RFID is a no brainer. Find out how you can register for your on Touch n Go RFID from this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment