It's about time



Last week I bought a new guitar so that I could learn to play that thing. When I was a teenager, my dad bought me one but I never had the chance to seriously learn to play it. Back then there was no YouTube or much online learning websites like Justinguitar.com where I can learn to play the guitar step by step. It's only now that I got the chance to do that and start over from scratch. I suppose it is a dream for every boy to know how to play the guitar and I'm no exception.

Apart from learning to play the guitar, I am also actively learning French from this cool app called Duolingo. It's available for download for free on iOS and Google Play store and also from their website. It's a really great app if you'd like to learn French, Spanish, German, Portuguese or several other popular European languages. I did learn some basic Spanish in college but one semester is definitely not enough. Even then I only managed to get a "C". So with the advent of smartphone and the Internet, I have the golden opportunity to master another foreign language, for free. One is never too old to learn something new.

Then in my free time I'm also learning HTML and CSS from Code Academy. Yes you guessed it, another online learning platform. I'm sure you've heard by now that Facebook just bought Whatsapp for $16 billion. While not all programmer could be so lucky or successful as the Whatsapp developers but there's no harm learning a new knowledge especially programming which I can use at work or as a part time job.

In the evening after work, I have my workout routine where I run for 4-5 kilometers around the neighborhood followed by a little bit of circuit exercise and weight-lifting at home. I learned about the exercise routine from the Internet as well. At night, if I'm not too tired I will be updating one of my blogs or spend some time with my kids and family apart from watching one of the hundreds of TV series or movies that I've downloaded.

Sometimes I will read one of the dozens paperback or digital books that I have on the shelf or on my phone at night as well. Once or twice a week I will practice chess with Adam Farihin, him representing the school and all.

Weekend is the only time I could get some rest especially if I ran that extra 10 kilometers every fortnight. As you can see, my time is filled with activities whether for fun, business, education, family or pleasure. If somebody were to call and ask me to make a write-up for his company, I'm afraid I won't have the time or the energy for that. Sure, the job could be rewarding but it could also be stressful to me. And you know what they say, there are things money can't buy. One of that is a stress-free life.

At 33, I wished I had done some of the things that I started doing now much earlier. You know, things like exercise, learn to play the guitar, learn to code and stuff. That said, it's never to late to start now. Today I have the time and the resources to do much of what I wanted to do then. You only live once and I'm sure am going to make the best of it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the informative article. This is one of the best resources I have found in quite some time. Nicely written and great info. I really cannot thank you enough for sharing.
    English Practice App | English speaking app

    ReplyDelete