Meet the neighbours

I live with my family in a small rented house in Seri Kembangan, a suburb outside of Kuala Lumpur. We lived there for almost 2 years now and we've been through a lot there. Good times, not so good times, sad times, happy times. We don't plan to live there forever though. God-willing, next year we shall be living in a place to call our very own (Amin!). And before I forget, let's meet my colourful neighbours shall we?
I live in the house marked X. Bear in mind this map is not to scale and it doesn't necessarily show were I live exactly. Maybe off by a few miles give and take.

A. When I first moved here, my immediate neighbour's house up front is most of the time empty (and it still is). A middle aged guy will come there at least once a week to tidy up the place water the plants etc-etc and then he's gone. I'm guessing the owner has another house somewhere and this is his old house. I wonder why he didn't just sell it or at least put it up for rent. Maybe he has his reasons. Since he's away most of the time, you can always see my other neighbours parking their cars in front of his house.

B. This is the house where an elderly couple lives with a couple of their grown up kids. The day we moved here was incidentally their daughter's wedding. Lucky for us we managed to unload all our stuff into the house before they arrange the tables. Unfortunately for us, they decided to party all night long with super-loud musing blaring through the speakers until 3 in the morning. We didn't get much sleep that night.

The elderly man is probably retired because I can see him staying at home all the time. Every morning he will go for a walk around the neighbourhood. Her wife likes to hang out outside their gate in the afternoon. Too bad for us it rained the day our house got broken into so there was no old lady hanging out outside their gate to watch.

C. Actually there was a witness to that crime. Another elderly lady lives with her family here. She saw the culprit's car parked outside our house but she didn't really saw the registration number, make or car's colour.

D. Before the current ladies steps in, my immediate neighbour on my right was a young couple with one little kid about the same age as Adam. Then one day the owners said they would like to have the house back because they wanted to live there, so they said. So the couple didn't have any choice but to look for another house elsewhere. Not long after that, they owners did came but they just spruce up the place a bit, fix the gates, painted the wall and about a month later the ladies moved in. I bet they deliberately kicked the old occupant out so that they can hike up the rent rate and offer it to somebody else. Shrewd move.

When my new neighbours first moved in, the were 3 ladies and they move around on 2 bikes. Today they were only 2 left and they now drive a Myvi and a Kelisa. The lady in the Kelisa worked in Putrajaya and she goes out to work about the same time as us. The other lady in Myvi used to go out around the same time too but now she usually go out late and comes back early in the evening. I have no idea where she works at. I used to say hi to Myvi girl, some time ago. She always come out early in the morning to wipe and clean her brand new shiny car. That's when I said "eh, even the car got her shower before the owner". She didn't reply to that and we didn't talk again after that. I think she must have thought that I'm some kind promiscuous, gatal guy. Ah well, your loss he he. I'm just trying to be nice to my neighbours, is that so wrong? Not like I'm going to take you as my second wife or something. I know you both got boyfriends already and I know my limits. The Kelisa girl on the other hand was quite friendly. Before they go back for their Raya holidays, I managed to get her phone number. The thing is, I can't find her number anywhere in my phonebook. Oh well, maybe next time.

E. In this house, another young married couple without kids lives. They didn't talk to anybody else much and they always-always leave their gates open. I don't think these people ever had their house broken into. It's like putting a sign outside their gate "please come in and rob us, we don't mind!".

F. Is where Pak Cik Hashim, his wife, daughter and kid lives. Their house is the first house we visited when we moved here. Of all of our neighbours, Pak Cik Hashim and co are the friendliest. He always says hi and waves whenever we meet and I think I talked more to him than all my other neighbours combined. Her wife teaches the Koran to little kids and they always go to the surau nearby together at least 3 times a day. He works as a senior mechanic in a factory in Batu Caves.

G. One father, one mother and one daughter lives here. I don't know what the mother does but I think the father works as a contractor or he runs his own business. I mean he goes out whenever he likes and he comes back on different times too. He owns a Honda Civic and a Toyota Hilux while her daughter drives a Myvi. The daughter, I'm guessing is still at college because I didn't see her much except during weekends. And a few days ago I think I saw her smiling at me. Ah I'm sure she's reminiscing on the nightmarish happy memories when she saw me washing the car topless every other month tee hee hee.

H. Another family consisting of one parent and several kids lives here. I waved and said hi to the father a few times but apart from that we didn't talk much. One morning the father and the mother had a serious fight and we can hear them shouting from right inside our house. Guys-guys, if you want to fight next time, keep the volume down will ya?

I. Is the junction where a bunch of school kids (usually my neighbours next to F hang out and smoke. Some of them are still in primary school mind you and they were already puffing away without a care in the world. Hello, parent don't you even care? Can't you smell the cigarette stink on your kid's clothes? Today cigarette, tomorrow they'll be smoking pot, mark my word.

J. Here lives a big family from grandparent to their little kids. Those little monsters err I mean kids loves to throw rubbish into my porch. I don't remember putting a 'landfill' or 'throw all your rubbish here' sign anywhere near my house but they do it anyway, every other day, 3 times a week. I think they just enjoys annoying the crap out of me. Apart from that, they're quite nice.

K. is where another big family lives. The father owns a Honda CRV and a van which is always park in front of B's house but apparently they didn't mind. Every two months or so they will hold a barbecue party at their place. Eh how come I never get invited? During a certain new year celebration brace yourself for the loudest fireworks display in the neighbourhood.

L. is my immediate neighbour at the back. I didn't get to see them yet because they never come out (to their backyard that is). All I can hear is their chatting and gossiping in the kitchen. This family loves to karaoke too. All of them from the kids to the moms sing out loud every now and then especially the weekends.

And what do my neighbours think of me? Here's a snippet from my hypothetical interview with them...

D said: "Like hellooo, aren't you like married with kids already? Try to pick up on me some more. Dude, at least loose some weight first lah".

Friend of D said: "He's quite alright really. In fact I think he's rather cute too! I bet he was drop dead handsome when he was younger. Too bad I'm in a relationship already, sigh.".

B said: "This fellow ha, always leave his gates unlocked back in the days. I wanted to advise him but then too late already, one day some bad fellas come in and took all his stuff away. Poor thing.".

G said: "Okay, I know my daughter smiles at you sometimes but don't you even think about it. They day you drive around in black Kompressor is the day I might consider you as my in law, kapish?".

Kids of J said: "We like to throw rubbish into uncle's porch and watch his boiling mad face! *giggles*".

Mother of J: "Those guys next door ah, so loud-loud at night. Moaning and screaming, disturb me in my sleep some more. I know lah you guys still young and full of energy but just keep the noise down ya?".

No comments:

Post a Comment