Leaving on a jet plane

Last week my mother went to perform Umrah for the first time. The Umrah a pilgrimage to Mecca performed by Muslims that can be undertaken at any time of the year. It is sometimes called the 'minor pilgrimage' or 'lesser pilgrimage', the Hajj being the 'major' pilgrimage and which is compulsory for every able-bodied Muslim who can afford it. According to some schools of Islamic thought, the Umrah is not compulsory but highly recommended. © Wikipedia 2007



As her eldest male son, I automatically became the default sender cum driver to the airport, not that I mind of course. We all woke up at 5 in the morning and took off right after Subuh prayers. Mother insists that we get to KLIA 3 hours early. That’s what her travel agency people told her to do anyway.



My grandma came here a few days earlier. All my siblings were here for the send off. Izni ponteng for one day and came here all the way from JB. Faiz meanwhile came right after class. My elder sister Lina met up at the airport with hubby and son. That’s her son in blue and that’s NOT a Real Madrid jersey my kid is wearing. Huh, over my dead body!



We got there around 7 o’clock and mother didn’t check in until 9. So I spent the free time exploring KLIA with Adam and took load of pictures. Did you know they’re voted the World’s Best Airport recently? How cool is that?. I’ve only been to LCCT and KLIA so it’s a little bit difficult for me to judge.



They made announcement in 4 different languages mind you; Malay, English, Mandarin and Arabic plus they got signs in Japanese also. I wouldn’t be shopping here anytime soon though cause everything’s so expensive here. I still don’t get it. Just because it’s at the airport, everything has to cost extra? Even McDonald’s here costs almost double than their regular outlets elsewhere. Okay, maybe the rent there is much higher but that’s still not a good excuse to cutthroat everybody.



Hey, my uncle Dib fixes those aeroplanes everyday. He started off 15 years ago with just a polytechnic certificate he’s now one of MAS’s top engineer. They send him to airports all over the world to fix their aircraft. Amazing right? From a basic salary of 350 ringgit he worked hard and went up through the ranks to earn a respectable salary enough to raise his 5 kids. I don’t know whether I could last even to weeks on that salary today. I have a lot of respect for uncle Dib and always look up to him as one of the role model in my family. He’s a living proof that you that you don’t necessarily need a university degree or a top class education to succeed in life. All you need is hard work and a real deep interest in what you do.



Anyway they’ve got a nice little playground there right next to KFC. Adam enjoyed playing there so much he didn’t want to leave at all. I have to carry him as he thrash about violently from one end of the airport to another. That little monster!!


from left: Faiz, grandma, mother, Lina, Izni

Finally it’s time to say goodbye. After the obligatory hug and kisses my mother left for her maiden voyage to the holy city of Mecca. I pray that she’ll have a safe journey there and back. I also hope that she’ll find her guidance there before she made the biggest decision (or mistake) of her life. For all I know, we might have a new member to the family this Hari Raya (Oh No!).

Whatever it is we love you mom and I’m missing you already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment